Here are 10 important tips for household poison prevention.
- Keep the poison control center phone number in an easy-to-find location, such as the refrigerator. This is especially useful if a babysitter will be taking care of your children. NJ Poison Control 24/7/365 hotline: (800) 222-1222.
- Put child locks on all cabinets within your child’s reach.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home, specifically near sleeping areas. Note: regular smoke detectors will not detect the presence of carbon monoxide.
- Don’t leave a car running in the garage even with the garage doors open.
- Always turn on a light before taking medication from the cabinet to ensure you’ve picked up the correct bottle and can read the dosage instructions.
- Keep all toxic products out of reach of children and pets, including a handbag if medications or makeup are kept inside (especially perfume, hair dye, hairspray, nail and shoe polish, and nail polish remover). Note: Don’t forget to ask guests to do the same; you don’t know what items they bring into your house.
- Do not mix household products; combining them could result in a poisonous gas being emitted.
- Leave all cleaning products and medications in their original containers to avoid accidental misuse.
- Remove poisonous plants or move them out of reach.
- If your home was built prior to 1978, check for and carefully remove any lead-based paint.
Luckily, more than 70% of poisonings can be treated at home! With these preventive measures in place, you can significantly reduce the likelihood of poisoning in your home.