As New Jersey drivers continue to face the rollercoaster of gas prices, there are seven ways to start saving on gas today.
- Drive Rationally — Rapid and excessive acceleration wastes gas.
- Affect of Speed — Gas usage increases rapidly when traveling at speeds over 60 mph.
- Shed a Few Pounds — Remove any excess or unnecessary weight from your car.
- No Idling Allowed — Try to avoid excessive idling, especially if you have the air conditioner on. If you are stopped for more than one minute, shut off your car.
- Check Your Tires — Vehicle tires play an integral role in gas usage. Periodically check your tire pressure, check for uneven wear and have tires rotated every 6,000 to 8,000 miles.
- Set Your Cruise Control — Using cruise control and maintaining a constant speed when traveling long distances can help limit gas usage.
- Roll Up Your Windows — When traveling at high speeds, keep your windows closed to streamline your car and decrease gas usage.
Following these simple tips will help alleviate some of the pain at the pump and optimize your mileage.