Flood Insurance

NJM homeowners insurance policies do not cover damage caused by flooding. Policyholders in need of this coverage can obtain it from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) through most licensed property insurance agents or brokers or through a company that participates in the NFIP's Write Your Own (WYO) Program .

To ensure our policyholders have convenient access to this coverage, NJM has established a relationship with Wright Flood , the nation's leading provider of federal flood insurance through the WYO Program. Wright Flood's expansive network of agents and extensive claims management experience help ensure that the interests of policyholders are represented in the event of a loss or other service need. Wright Flood has established a toll-free, dedicated number for NJM policyholders interested in applying for a flood policy: 1-855-617-3532.

Important facts about flood insurance

You do not need to live near water to be flooded. Floods can result from many events including storms, melting snow and hurricanes. Even a few inches of water can cause major damage to your home and property. As long as your community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, you can purchase a flood insurance policy. Whether you live in an area likely to flood or in one that is at low risk, flood insurance is one of the best ways to protect the things that are most important to you and your family.

Keep in mind that building and personal property coverage must be purchased separately

The NFIP offers two types of flood insurance policies, one that covers your actual home (building property) and one that covers your personal property. You can buy one or both of these coverages when purchasing flood insurance.

Normally, flood coverage won't begin until 30 days after the policy is purchased, so don't wait until flooding is imminent. More information about flood insurance is available on our Flood Facts page.