NJM Safety Center - Residential
Ask the Right Questions
Here are some questions that people frequently ask their insurance representatives after a major loss due to disaster. You may want to have this list when you first contact your insurer to avoid multiple follow-up calls.
- What does my insurance policy cover?
- When can I expect to see my adjuster?
- How large is my deductible? (The deductible is the amount of loss you agree to pay yourself when you buy a policy.)
- Should I contact contractors to get repair or rebuilding estimates, or will the insurance company do that?
- If I cannot live in my house, will the insurance company pay for me to stay in a hotel or rent an apartment? What about meals, clothing and other personal items? How much may I spend?
- If I decide not to replace some items that were destroyed or lost, will my insurance still pay for them?
- Will my homeowners policy or automobile policy pay for vehicles that were parked in my garage and damaged?
- Will my policy pay to replace trees and shrubs that were lost as a result of the disaster?
- How long will it take to process my claim?