Know the ropes
Whether you are boating on the high seas or floating on the lake, you can enjoy your excursion and the open water safely by following the tips below.
Seaworthy safety tips:
- Be weather wise — monitor the weather, and bring a radio. If a storm is predicted, get out of the water.
- Have a float plan — inform a family member or the marina of where you are going and how long you will be gone.
- Avoid alcohol or any substance that impairs your ability to operate your vessel. According to the U.S. Coast Guard, the use of alcohol doubles your risk of being involved in a boating accident.
- Make sure everyone on board is wearing a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
- Learn to swim — if you are going to be in or around the water, learning to swim is essential.
- Keep fire extinguishers and emergency supplies onboard. Use a floating pouch that contains: a cellphone, maps, flares and a first aid kit.
- Open all hatches and run the blower after you refuel and before you start your trip.
- Sniff for fumes before starting the engine and if you smell fumes, do not start the engine.
- Follow maritime laws and traffic rules.
- Use a pre-departure checklist.
- Never allow passengers to ride on gunwales or seatbacks, or outside of protective railings.
- Take special precautions in cold-water — falling into water is incredibly dangerous. Layer up and make sure your life jacket fits properly.
- Download the Coast Guard's boating safety mobile application and schedule a complimentary safety check.
About NJM Insurance Group's Commitment to Safety
NJM's enduring commitment to safety can be traced back to our earliest days — with a focus that has expanded from improving conditions in manufacturing facilities to helping keep customers safe on the roads and at home. NJM is a leader in personal and commercial auto, homeowners, and workers' compensation insurance. Founded more than a century ago, we have earned a reputation for service, integrity, and financial stewardship.