Holiday Parties: Sensible Celebrating
The holidays are a time for celebrating, but you never want to put yourself or others in danger. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), drunk driving claims more than 10,000 lives a year. With more people on the road between Thanksgiving and New Year's, the risk of intoxicated drivers increases.
If you're hosting or attending a holiday function, here are five tips to consider:
- Be responsible. You could be legally liable if guests are involved in a car accident while intoxicated and injure themselves or others. Plan to be sober and make sure your guests are, too, when they leave your home. Before the party starts to wind down, remove all alcohol and offer coffee and water.
- Use a designated driver or ridesharing. Plan ahead. If you're going out, have a designated driver — someone in your group who doesn't plan to drink. Whether you're attending a party or hosting friends, use ridesharing services such as Lyft and Uber as a safe alternative to driving after drinking.
- Eat before drinking. Drinking on an empty stomach can cause you to become intoxicated faster. Enjoy the party by sampling the appetizers before the dinner spread is rolled out and you start drinking. Almonds, cheese cubes, and other high-protein foods can slow down alcohol absorption.
- Offer non-alcoholic alternatives. If you host a party, offer nonalcoholic beverages like bottled or sparkling water, soda, juice, or mocktails (a mixture of fruit juices or other soft drinks). Search websites for creative recipes that are enticing to your guests.
- Avoid driving after midnight. Peak hours for crashes caused by drunk drivers are between midnight and 3 a.m. When hosting a party, offer to put guests up for the night if they are unable to get home safely.
About NJM Insurance Group's Commitment to Safety
NJM is a leader in personal and commercial auto, homeowners, and workers' compensation insurance. Founded more than a century ago, we have earned a reputation for service, integrity, and financial stewardship. NJM's enduring commitment to safety can be traced back to our earliest days — with a focus that has expanded from improving conditions in manufacturing facilities to helping keep customers safe on the roads and at home.