Motorcycle and ATV Safety
Riding is not a skill that is inherent, but rather an ability that is learned and developed through practice. The best way to get started is by taking a rider course to learn hand and foot controls, turning, braking maneuvers, crash avoidance and protective gear selection.
The SIPDE System
Experienced riders use a system known as SIPDE to make split-second decisions and take action in traffic. Use this process to help avoid hazards:
- Scan surroundings thoroughly for potential hazards.
- Identify potential hazards and conflicts, such as other vehicles, pedestrians or potholes.
- Predict effects of the hazard. How critical is the hazard and how might it be avoided?
- Decide what you can do to reduce the hazard. This may be accomplished by communicating your presence with your lights or horn, adjusting your speed or changing lanes.
- Execute your plan to avoid the hazard.
Get into the right gear
For a safe ride, use protective gear — always wear a helmet, eye protection, highly visible protective clothing, over-the-ankle boots and gloves. Consider the following safety tips when deciding on the right gear to wear:
- Helmet – ensure your helmet has a DOT (Department of Transportation) compliance sticker — this means it meets basic safety standards.
- Eye protection – the proper eye gear means there is an approved shield on your helmet, you are wearing a pair of goggles, or you have shatterproof glasses.
- Jacket – look for leather or sturdy material made specifically for riding.
- Pants – cover your legs and wear rigid "body armor" for additional protection.
- Gloves – get a good grip on controls and protect your hands.
- Boots – use over-the-ankle boots with strong leather that have slide-proof heels.
- Hearing protection – reduce noise for ear protection, but you should still be able to hear horns and sirens.
- High visibility gear – wear reflective gear that is visible at night.
About NJM Insurance Company's Commitment to Safety
NJM is a leader in personal and commercial auto, workers' compensation and homeowners insurance. Founded more than a century ago, we have earned a reputation for service, integrity and financial stewardship. NJM's enduring commitment to safety can be traced back to our earliest days — with a focus that has expanded from improving conditions in manufacturing facilities to helping keep drivers safe on our roads.