What to Do after a Car Accident
Statistics show that most drivers will be involved in an automobile accident at some point. This article will help you handle the ordeal safely, if and when it happens.
Keep the following items in your car:
- A cell phone, medical alert information, emergency contacts.
- Pen, paper, emergency road kit.
- First aid supplies, insurance and vehicle registration cards.
Safety comes first
If you are not in a safe place, quickly move to one, and:
- Do not get out of the car if it is unsafe.
- Keep your seatbelt on.
- Turn on your hazard lights.
- Move your car to the shoulder of the road if there are no injuries, so that your car does not obstruct traffic.
- If it is safe, set up emergency flares or reflective triangles.
Check for injuries
- Remember: some injuries are not visible.
- If you or others involved in the accident are feeling even slightly ill, get examined by a healthcare professional.
- If you or others are injured, call 911 immediately.
- Ensure that you provide all relevant details to the 911 dispatch.
- Provide your name and phone number.
- Give details about the accident site — if you are unsure of where you are, give the approximate location with landmarks.
- If the police cannot arrive at the scene, file an incident report at the local police station.
Obtain the other driver's information
For insurance purposes, repair costs and potential mediation, it is important to collect relevant information that includes:
- Driver's license.
- Name, address and phone number.
- Insurance card.
- License plate number.
Gather important facts
If it is a minor crash, take pictures of all the vehicles involved, the road, the direction of each vehicle and any other damage caused by the accident. Get the following details in writing:
- Year, make, model and color of the car.
- Date, time and weather conditions.
- Witness's names, phone numbers and addresses.
NJM will help you get back on the road. Our claims adjuster will contact you within 24 hours of filing your claim to discuss your vehicle repair, rental insurance coverage, and will schedule an inspection.
About NJM Insurance Group's Commitment to Safety
NJM's enduring commitment to safety can be traced back to our earliest days — with a focus that has expanded from improving conditions in manufacturing facilities to helping keep customers safe on the roads and at home. NJM is a leader in personal and commercial auto, homeowners, and workers' compensation insurance. Founded more than a century ago, we have earned a reputation for service, integrity, and financial stewardship.