Going to College

The transition from adolescence to adulthood is very exciting, but starting college can be a busy, confusing time for both parent and child. Among the many questions you have as a parent, you might be wondering how this change will impact your insurance policies.

If Your Child Doesn’t Take a Car to School (Don't Remove Him or Her from Your Policy!)

  • Your car insurance policy must account for all licensed drivers living in your household, and that includes any driver whose license reflects your policy address.

  • Drivers attending school more than 100 miles from home, without a vehicle, are eligible for a rate reduction.

  • Your policy’s PIP protection extends to your child away at school and provides medical coverage if he or she is involved in any auto related accident.

If Your Child Takes a Car to School

As long as your child doesn’t declare residency in another state, your policy will provide coverage for his or her vehicle while away at college.

You May Even Qualify for a Discount

If your child is a full-time student, we might be able to reward him or her for all the hours spent studying with a Good Student Discount!

Living in a Dorm

  • Your homeowners policy provides coverage for your child’s belongings while they're away at school. Ten percent of your personal property coverage (Coverage C) extends to an off-premise location such as a student’s dorm or apartment, and also to those studying abroad. In other words, if your policy limit is $100,000, you have up to $10,000 worth of coverage.

  • Homeowners policies typically only cover theft claims when a student has been living in the residence any time during 90 days prior to when a theft occurred.

  • Be sure to contact your insurance company before your child goes to school to discuss the specifics of your policy and verify what would be covered in the event of a loss.

Living in an Off-Campus Apartment

  • The building itself will be covered by the landlord’s insurance, but a renters policy may be needed to cover the student resident’s personal property.

  • If your child declares residency in a different state, they’ll need renters insurance to protect their property.

Read more: An Emphasis on Safety as Your Child Leaves for College