Protecting Your Business from Accidents and Claims

Commercial General Liability Insurance FAQs

What is Commercial General Liability (CGL) Insurance?

Commercial General Liability Insurance protects you and your employees from lawsuits involving covered events that occur on your premises, or arise from your operations or your sale of products.

Who is covered under a CGL policy?

CGL covers you and your partners, co-owners, or directors; your spouse; and your employees and volunteers. Other parties like real estate managers and legal representatives can also be covered by CGL.

When does a CGL policy apply?

CGL applies when a person insured under your policy is involved in a covered incident in the course of your company's operations. Covered incidents include accidents on your premises or at your worksite, damage resulting from your sale of products or your completed work off-premises, and personal or advertising injury arising out of your company's operations.

CGL does not cover damage to your property, premises you own, or injuries to your employees.

What is personal and advertising injury?

Personal and advertising injury involves damage arising from false arrest, detention, or imprisonment; wrongful eviction, entry, or invasion of privacy; slander or libel; oral or written violation of privacy; and the infringement of your advertisement on another's copyright, trade dress, or slogan.

How much liability coverage does CGL insurance provide?

We generally provide coverage limits of $1 million per occurrence and $2 million aggregate. Higher limits are available and will be considered upon request.

What types of businesses are eligible for CGL insurance?

We invite you to apply for a quote if your business falls into one of the following categories:

  • Barber Shops
  • Beauty Salons
  • Carpentry Contractors (interior finish)
  • Electrical Contractors
  • Floor Covering Installation (no ceramic tile or stone)
  • Heating and Air Conditioning Contractors
  • Janitorial/Building Cleaning and Maintenance (interior only)
  • Masonry Contractors
  • Nail Salons
  • Painting and Paper Hanging Contractors (interior only)
  • Plumbing Contractors (residential)

What additional policy options are available?

You can apply for the General Liability Plus Extension, which will provide additional coverage for:

  • Damage to premises rented to you
  • Fire, lightning, explosion, or sprinkler leakage damage
  • Increased payments for court-related expenses
  • Newly acquired or formed organizations