New Jersey Homeowners FAQs
New Applicant Questions
Please note: Current NJM policyholders automatically satisfy the membership requirement.
All applicants must meet NJM's membership eligibility criteria. You are eligible to apply for NJM coverage if you or your spouse are:
- Currently employed by a member organization of the New Jersey Business & Industry Association (NJBIA); or
- Currently employed by the State of New Jersey; or
- Currently employed by a New Jersey county, municipality, or township; or
- Currently employed by a New Jersey public school; or
- Currently employed by the federal government; or
- The named insured or resident spouse on a current or previous NJM policy for car insurance or homeowners insurance; or
- A current or previous resident insured operator of a vehicle covered under an NJM car insurance policy; or
- A current or previous insured operator on an NJM commercial auto policy.
To help expedite the application process, it would be helpful to have the following information available:
- Current Policy Declarations Page
- Desired coverage amount
- Mortgage commitment papers
NJM representatives will gladly assist you in determining what other information is required to obtain coverage.
Is my child's personal property, such as computer equipment, covered while he or she is away at school?
Yes, your homeowners policy provides coverage for both liability and personal property while it is with a child at school. The limit of coverage provided is dependent upon the type of policy you maintain. For specific details, please contact us at 1-800-232-6600, ext. 4512.
Though not an NJM requirement, your mortgage company may require that you insure the home for at least the total amount of all loans on the property. To determine your mortgage company's specific requirement, please contact them directly.