Homeowners Questions Answered

Homeowner Insurance Policyholder FAQs

Current Policyholder Questions

I am refinancing an existing loan and need an updated insurance policy to show to the mortgage company. What information is needed to change the mortgagee on my policy?

Because each mortgage company has specific requirements, necessary information can vary; however, requirements generally are:

  • The effective date of the change (closing date).
  • The new mortgagee information (which would include the exact name and address of the mortgage company or bank and indicate if they use a mortgage clause, for example: "Its successors and/or assigns").
  • Loan number (if available).
  • Will you be paying the premium or will it be escrowed (paid by the new mortgagee)?
  • Is your current dwelling amount sufficient to cover the loan, or do you need to increase your coverage based on the amount of your new mortgage balance?
  • Is a paid receipt required? (If your current premium is not paid in full, you will be required to make payment before a paid receipt can be provided.)
  • Will we be replacing your current mortgagee with this new mortgage company/bank, or listing them as a second mortgagee?
  • We'll need the name, fax number and phone number of the person to whom we need to send your updated Declarations Page and paid receipt. You will receive a copy of your updated policy in the mail.

I have a current homeowners insurance policy and I'm purchasing a second home. Will NJM provide coverage?

We do offer coverage for a second home located in New Jersey or Pennsylvania. In order to provide you with the appropriate policy and coverage amounts, we will need to obtain specific information regarding the property. Please contact our Personal Lines Department at 1-800-232-6600, ext. 4516, and one of our customer service representatives will be happy to assist you. Our hours of operation are weekdays from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

How can I obtain a copy of my policy Declarations Page?

Please contact one of our customer service representatives at 1-800-232-6600, ext. 4512, and someone will be happy to assist you. At your request, we can provide a copy of your policy either by email, fax or mail. Our hours of operation are weekdays from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Is my child's personal property, such as computer equipment, covered while he or she is away at school?

Yes, your homeowners policy provides coverage for both liability and personal property while it is with a child at school. The limit of coverage provided is dependent upon the type of policy you maintain. For specific details, please contact us at 1-800-232-6600, ext. 4512.