Questions Answered

Auto Claims FAQs

Will I be reimbursed for my deductible?

If NJM determines another party is responsible for a loss, we will pursue recovery of your deductible from the insurer(s) of the at-fault driver(s). If the at-fault driver's insurer has provided us with written confirmation it will accept full liability for the loss, we will issue a check to reimburse you for your deductible. The timing of your reimbursement will depend on how quickly we receive the written confirmation. We cannot reimburse you more than we recover from the other carrier.

If you and another are both at fault drivers, we only would be able to reimburse you for the portion of your deductible that is equal to the other driver's liability, assuming the other driver is at least 50% liable. For example, if we obtain 75% of the total loss, then 75% of your deductible may be reimbursed to you.

How can I recover out-of-pocket charges not covered by my NJM policy?

If another party is responsible for the accident, you may be able to recover expenses you incurred, such as auto rental fees more than your chosen transportation coverage. You will need to submit those expenses directly to the insurance company of the at-fault driver. Your assigned NJM claims representative can provide you with contact information for the insurer and answer any questions you may have on this process.

Will my policy be affected due to a claim?

To fulfill our promise to provide value-based insurance solutions and maintain the highest level of service, we review our rates annually to ensure we can cover all anticipated losses. Filing a claim won't necessarily affect your premium. A claim is one of several personalized factors used in determining an auto premium. We will review the claim details carefully at the time of your renewal. If you have questions about your premium or policy, you can always contact us at 1-800-232-6600.

What if the auto body shop finds additional damage not included in NJM's estimate?

NJM's preliminary inspection is limited to the damage that is visible from the exterior. During the repair process, it is common for the auto body shop to find additional damage that was not visible during the initial exterior inspection. If your auto body shop finds additional damage, it will notify our appraiser, and a supplemental estimate can be written for additional loss-related damage. Supplemental estimates are a common step in the repair process.

Can I rent a vehicle, and how does the process work?

If you have a claim and we determine your car is unsafe to drive, or your vehicle is in the shop for repairs related to the incident, you will receive the daily cost of a rental vehicle based on the transportation expense coverage you selected on your policy. Your claims representative would be happy to reserve a vehicle for you with one of our direct rental providers.

If your vehicle is safe to drive and repairable, the rental time period begins once the repair facility receives the parts and schedules the repairs. If your vehicle is a total loss, your rental is covered until the claim is settled or until your rental limit is exhausted, whichever comes first.

Why do I need to submit my medical bills to NJM if I was not at fault for the accident?

Some states require insurance companies to offer specific coverage for accident-related medical expenses. If you are injured in an automobile accident and live in one of these states, you will need to file a claim with your insurance company in order to qualify for this coverage. Your insurance company will pay for your accident-related medical expenses (up to your chosen coverage limit), regardless of who is responsible for the accident.

The adjuster handling your personal injury protection (PIP) or medical expense claim would be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding this coverage.

The settlement check I received has a lienholder/leasing company on it. How do I get their signature?

If you lease or finance your vehicle, the lienholder must appear on the settlement check, since it holds a financial interest in the vehicle. Financial institutions vary in how they handle insurance settlement check endorsements. You should contact your lienholder to get information on what steps you may need to take.

One advantage of selecting one of NJM's Premier Car Care Network facilities to repair your vehicle is we will pay the shop directly. This eliminates the need to include a lienholder on the payment and to get them to endorse the check to you.

The other driver's insurance company contacted me. Do I need to respond?

If you are using your NJM auto coverage to pay for your vehicle's damage, there is no need to respond to the other insurer. However, if the other driver is responsible for the loss and you are pursuing your property damage or any other claim against the driver, you should cooperate with the other insurance company during its loss investigation.

Will NJM obtain a copy of the police report, or do I need to provide a copy?

NJM will request a copy of the police report during our investigation. However, often drivers involved in a loss are able to obtain copies of these reports more quickly than insurance companies. If you have the police report, providing a copy to NJM will help expedite the claims process.

The information and descriptions of coverage on this site are general in nature. The coverage afforded for a particular loss depends on the specific facts and the terms, exclusions, and limits of the actual policy. Nothing on this site alters the terms or conditions of any policy; the policy controls coverage. Coverage options, limits, discounts, deductibles, and other features are subject to underwriting criteria, state availability, and effective dates. Coverage provided and underwritten by NJM Insurance Company and its subsidiaries, 301 Sullivan Way, W. Trenton, NJ 08628.